Beauty Or Brains? Which Would You Really Choose?


When asked this question, most will claim to want brains over looks, but if that's the case, why are there so many people famous for just looking good (think Kim Kardashian), while those behind the scenes inventing the next technological or scientific wonders of the world are hardly known by name in pop culture? Why are we so obsessed with beautiful celebrities, but not scholars?

Are we just kidding ourselves when we say we'd prefer to be smart? How about what we look for when choosing a mate? While many do look past pure physical traits when choosing a life partner (if they didn't, half the population wouldn't even exist!), the first question one will always ask in this instance is "how does he/she look?". Only after that concern is all other pertinent info sought.

Without a doubt, beauty has its advantages. Prettier people always seem to be more easily accepted and admired (at first), and in many cases, can trade on their looks to get themselves to a better position in life. But if you're not one of them, well, you might have to work just a bit harder. Not fair, but in many cases true.

One could argue that with intellect, one could figure out how to be successful enough and thereby make enough money to either buy better looks (to a degree), or just cancel out the need to look good altogether by excelling in their field (look at all the unattractive, highly successful folks with stunningly gorgeous mates), but if you were called upon to choose one and only one of these attributes, which would it really be?

Now, don't all of you go saying "brains!!". Some of you KNOW you'll be lying! ;)
We all want to appear to be of such high moral fiber that we will exclaim in a second that 'looks don't matter' to us, but if that were true, the plastic surgery industry wouldn't be generating the staggering amount of money that it does.

What's your true opinion?

24 comments:

  1. Brains, of course! you can buy beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am agree with you...and I think people who used to say looks doesn't matter are layers...We consider any one from his first appearance...Though later after knowing someone looks can be not that important...I like your article...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to be in smart category but I'll prefer to choose pretty woman rather than their scholar.. honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honesty I does not read whole article if there is objective answer I am agree with the point where when choosing a life partner the first question one will always ask in this instance is "how does he/she look?". So first question on look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks is actually usually what attracts you to someone.But after an evening out things can change drastically.Now I have dated some that were not especially attractive.But when we went out we had the greatest time.You do not have to be a scholar or a beauty.All you need is to be a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid looks are what attract me. But I find that quite often the people I do like the look of are interesting and good to talk to as well. I think many people who do have brains, are intelligent enough to try to make the best of their looks, even if they are not blessed with natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beauty only goes so far, I have meant people that were absolutely gorgeous to look at, but after speaking with them for about 10 minutes...lost all that beauty and more! Beauty is a whole package deal, without a personality to go with it...you have very little!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is indeed a tough question. I am attracted initially by looks for sure. BUT, if in the course of conversation I discover that they have been swimming in the shallow end of the dim-witted gene pool, I am immediately turned off. :) However, it doesn't matter to me, cause my wife has it ALL. Brains and Beauty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BOTH!!!

    You can have both. Diet and exercise for your beauty and work hard on learning new things for your smarts.

    And the best thing about it all is exercising the right way has been proven to make you smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ofcourse beauty has its advantages, as its more helpful while getting sales or while meeting first impression beauty is praised more.
    And yea if u r not beautiful or attractive then u need to work more harder
    I would adjust somewhere in looks but will look for some beauty with brains ;)
    Liked your post, good topic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would choose BRAINS of course. Since I have brains, I will make formulas that would make me beautiful! ;)

    Physical beauty fades with time. I would always go with inner beauty because the inner you remains and even become more beautiful with each passing time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a tough question. Well, I am smarter than I look. LOL. Well, to be honest I have BIG WORKING brains but no big boobs. Haha. Am I beautiful or not? My SMILE makes me beautiful, not my make up, I have a cute face. I am happy that I am not dumb nor ugly. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Indeed tough question that you asked in this post I would like to say both of important but I agree with you that when some one choosing a mate first he ask how she looks so that is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one is the blog which I like most,I would like to thanks that master brain who make all this for the readers like me.keep up writing good job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. not lying..it just a normally attitude, that sex appeals like beauty face or physical beauty are more make us to be interested...maybe for first impression and short. for longer impression, i think brain is still drives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. although I envy so much pretty girls, I will still say brains. like what the first commenters said, you can buy beauty, brains not. and it's not being able to finish school. it's about commonsense and being smart without the need to go over studies just to get a diploma.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so agree, fedhz...

    Brains are not just about getting diplomas and degrees. It comes from learning as much as you can about life and people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing the useful material. I think I will definitely get benefit from your content. Lovely n educating article.thanks for passing d idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. beauty of course, with the beauty we can get what we want.just my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can say with all honesty that, despite the fact of being into health, fitness, and maintaining my appearance, I prefer intellect to beauty any day. Had you asked me the question even 5 years ago the answer may have been different :). I guess that means I'm officially a mature adult now, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can we choose both. Miss Universe are smart and at the same time pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ofcourse Brain!!!!!
    As we heard that "All that glitters is not Gold" this is totally true in this case. There are many peoples who look very attractive and smart but we can't say them that they are intelligent. We can know their intelligency after getting them into a conversation with them. Brain is important than beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think both are equally important. We can just see this in Miss World or Miss Universe contest. The contestant have both the quality that is intelligent mind with beauty.

    ReplyDelete